How can I get a copy of a police report or traffic accident report?

HOW TO REQUEST COPIES OF REPORTS 1) Report copies can be obtained by coming directly to our Records Office located oa either of the following locations: Beaufort = 2001 Duke St, Beaufort, SC 29902; Hilton Head = 70 Shelter Cove Lane, Hilton Head, SC 29928 2) Report copies can also be obtained by online electronic submission by following these steps: Complete the Freedom of Information Request Form and then Click on the Submit button at the bottom of the page. Upon receipt of your request, we will send confirmation of receipt alond with notification of the total fee charged for the requested copy(s). Payment must be mailed (MONEY ORDERS and CERTIFIED CHECKS ONLY) along with a copy of the confirmation and a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
P. O. Box 1758
Beaufort, SC 29901 The requested copy(s) will be forwarded upon receipt of payment.

How do I find out if there is a warant out for my arrest?

We do not give that information over the phone. You must go to the Beaufort County Law Enforcement Center (2001 Duke St., Beaufort, SC) and present a picture I.D. to the records clerk.

How can I get a copy of my criminal record?

We only provide criminal records to law enforcement, security officers, and federally funded housing representatives, with a signed release form. You can obtainyou own criminal record by picking up a form at our records office, and sending it to SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division). You will need to send in $25.00 with the form.

Who do I call to get civil process/judgment papers served?

CIVIL PROCESS CONTACTS: Lieutenant Tom Vido: (843)255-3266 Master Sergeant Jeff Light: (843)255-3615 Hope Bishop, Civil Process Clerk: (843)255-3188; Linsay Burns, Judgments Clerk: (843)255-3189; FAX NUMBER : (843)255-9405 CIVIL PROCESSING FEES:

  • Summons, Complaints, Mechanic Liens, Citations, Decrees & Subpoenas - $15.00
  • Out-of-State Papers, Claim & Delivery, Writs of Assistance, Distress Warrants, Orders of Seizures, Executions & Repossession - $25.00
Payments can be made in the form of cash, attorney checks or money orders. Make checks and money orders payable to: Beaufort County Sheriff's Office. REGULAR POSTAL MAIL ADDRESS: Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
Post Office Box 1758
Beaufort , South Carolina 29901 OVERNIGHT/EXPRESS MAIL ADDRESS: Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
2001 Duke Street
Beaufort , South Carolina 29902 Civil Process Papers: Send to the attention of Hope Bishop.
Execution Papers: Send to the attention of Lindsay Burns.

What is involved in the process of property judgments/executions?

When the Sheriff's Office receives an execution, we notify the defendant by mail. This letter requests them to contact this office within ten (10) days and make arrangements to pay the judgment. If the defendant refuses to pay, we proceed to research property owned by the defendant. The Sheriff's Office is only able to research and proceed against titled property. Titled property can be either real or personal as follows: Real Property: Real estate (homes, land, etc.)
Personal Property: Vehicles, mobile homes, motorcycles, etc. ( LIEN FREE) Be advised that the Homestead Exemption for the defendant may entail: Houses $50,000 - $100,000
Personal Property up to $5,000 If any real property is found, the Sheriff's Office will post a levy (a collection notice) on that property. This is the first step in the selling of that property. If the defendant does not satisfy the judgment after the levy is posted, a sale of the property will be necessary. The initial costs of the sale are the RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PLAINTIFF, and are as follows:

  • Advertising Bond: $800.00 or more (Depending on length of ad)
  • Personal Property Bond: $350.00 minimum (Covers towing, storage, and advertising prior to being seized.)
When a title search is requested, the plaintiff will receive a copy of the levy notice containing the legal description of the property. The next step is the advertising of levied property, using either the Beaufort Gazette or the Island Packet. The advertising notice is also posted at the U.S. Post Office and the Beaufort County Courthouse. There are requirements by law as to how long the advertisement is run, which affects cost: Real Property: Minimum of 3 weeks prior to date of sale
Personal Property: Minimum of 2 weeks prior to date of sale If there are no bidders on the property, there is nothing else the Sheriff's Office can do, and the execution of judgment will be returned to the plaintiff. If the Sheriff's Office is unable to collect money for the plaintiff, the paperwork will be returned along with a Nulla Bona letter. A Nulla Bona return indicates either:
  1. that the defendant has no property on which to place a levy;
  2. that the defendant's property is not feasible to sell or the defendant cannot/will not pay monetarily.
After receiving the Nulla Bona return, the plaintiff may choose to hold onto the judgment until a more opportune time arises to seize property. **NOTE: A judgment is valid/collectible for ten (10) years from the date the judge signed the order, and it accrues simple yearly interest at the statutory rate. For further questions or assistance, contact one of the below listed personnel: Lieutenant Tom Vido: (843) 255-3266
Master Sergeant Jeff Light: (843) 255-3615
Lori Tuten- Judgments Clerk: (843) 255-3189

Do any area constables work directly with the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office?

The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office utilizes two individuals who are certified constables with specific technical skills that we need. Otherwise, we do not utilize constables. The constable program is taught through our Reserve Deputy Sheriff Program, as the training is nearly identical, only the testing is different. The training is available to anyone meeting the criteria.

Any individual wishing to obtain a constable's commission may contact Lt. Will Angelo at (843) 255-3138 or email him at

I am a patch collector who would like to trade patches. Who can I talk to?

You can make a request to trade with MSgt. Jeff Light by emailing him from here.

How do I get an appointment to meet with the Sheriff or the Chief Deputy?

For Sheriff P. J. Tanner you will need to call (843) 255-3191 to set up an appointment.
For Chief Deputy Mike Hatfield, call (843) 255-3192.

I was a victim of a crime that occurred on Hilton Head Island. Who can I call for an update?

You can call (843) 255-3300. Ask to speak to a detective in reference to your case. Have your case number ready.

How do I obtain a concealed weapon permit in South Carolina?

To learn more about South Carolina gun laws and how to obtain concealed weapons permits, go to the South Carolina Law Enforcement (SLED) web site (

What to do if you, or someone you know, is a victim of Identity Theft?

Identity theft is a crime. Identity theft can be perpetrated using such low-tech methods as purse snatching or “dumpster diving,” or high-tech techniques like deceptive “phishing” e-mails or malicious software known as “spyware.” Identity theft can happen to anyone, if you think someone is using your personal information to open accounts, file taxes, or make purchases, you should create an identity theft report and obtain a personal recovery plan from

What is the Sheriff's Office tax number?

Our tax number is 576000-311.

What are the Child Restraint laws in South Carolina?

SECTION 56-5-6410. Child passenger restraint systems; age and weight as basis for required restraining system; standards.

(A) Every driver of a motor vehicle (passenger car, pickup truck, van, or recreational vehicle) operated on the highways and streets of this State when transporting a child under eight years of age upon the public streets and highways of the State must properly secure the child in the vehicle as follows:

(1) An infant or child under two years of age must be properly secured in a rear-facing child passenger restraint system in a rear passenger seat of the vehicle until the child exceeds the height or weight limit allowed by the manufacturer of the child passenger restraint system being used.

(2) A child at least two years of age or a child under two years of age who has outgrown his rear-facing child passenger restraint system must be secured in a forward-facing child passenger restraint system with a harness in a rear passenger seat of the vehicle until the child exceeds the highest height or weight requirements of the forward-facing child passenger restraint system.

(3) A child at least four years of age who has outgrown his forward-facing child passenger restraint system must be secured by a belt-positioning booster seat in a rear seat of the vehicle until he can meet the height and fit requirements for an adult safety seat belt as described in item (4). The belt-positioning booster seat must be used with both lap and shoulder belts. A booster seat must not be used with a lap belt alone.

(4) A child at least eight years of age or at least fifty-seven inches tall may be restrained by an adult safety seat belt if the child can be secured properly by an adult safety seat belt. A child is properly secured by an adult safety seat belt if:

(a) the lap belt fits across the child's thighs and hips and not across the abdomen;

(b) the shoulder belt crosses the center of the child's chest and not the neck; and

(c) the child is able to sit with his back straight against the vehicle seat back cushion with his knees bent over the vehicle's seat edge without slouching.

(5) For medical reasons that are substantiated with written documentation from the child's physician, advanced nurse practitioner, or physician assistant, a child who is unable to be transported in a standard child passenger safety restraint system may be transported in a standard child passenger safety restraint system designed for his medical needs.

Any child restraint system of a type sufficient to meet the physical standards prescribed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at the time of its manufacture is sufficient to meet the requirements of this article.

(B) For the purposes of this section, any portion of a recreational vehicle that is equipped with temporary living quarters shall be considered a rear passenger seat.

What is the fax number to the Sheriff's Office?

Main Office: 2001 Duke Street in Beaufort
Fax: (843) 255-9405
Hilton Head Sub Station Office: 70 Shelter Cove Lane in Hilton Head
Fax: (843) 255-9453

Frequently Asked Questions

Beaufort County Sheriff's Office

2001 Duke St

Beaufort, South Carolina 29902


Phone: 843-255-3200

© 2018 by Beaufort County Sheriff's Office