The Beaufort County Sheriff's Department patrols the beaches and enforces all beach regulations. Violators of beach regulations are subject to fines up to $500 per each offense.
The following are PROHIBITED on all beaches:
- Alcoholic liquor, beer, wine
- Glass (bottles, containers, etc.)
- Indecent exposure (nudity)
- Disorderly conduct
- Disturbing the peace
- Unauthorized vehicles
- Fires and Fireworks
- Shark Fishing
- Removal, harming , or harassment of any live beach fauna (sea turtles, sand dollars, conchs, starfish, etc.)
- Removal, alteration, or damage to dunes, sea oats, or other dune flora
- Operation, launching, or landing of unauthorized motorized watercraft
- Unauthorized commercial activity
- Sleeping on the beach between midnight and 6 a.m.
- Unauthorized wearing of lifeguard emblems, insignias, etc.
- Solicitation or distribution of handouts
- Kites not under manual control
- Stunt kites 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. April 1 through September 30
For the added protection of sunbathers and swimmers, the following activities are prohibited in Designated Swimming Areas between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. April 1 through September 30:
- Fishing or surfcasting
- Surfboards, boogie boards, etc.
- Frisbees or other team sports involving a ball
- Games with metal components
Animals on the Beach
- Are not permitted - Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day
- Must be on a leash:
- Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. April 1 through Thursday before Memorial Day
- Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Tuesday after Labor Day through September 30
- Must be on leash or under positive voice control at all other times.
- Persons in control of animals on the beach are required to remove and properly dispose of the animal's excrement.