Frequently Asked Questions

  • How can I get a copy of a police report or traffic accident report?


    1.     Report copies can be obtained by coming directly to our Records Office located at either of the following locations:

    • Beaufort Location: 2001 Duke Street, Beaufort, SC 29902
    • Hilton Head Location: 58 Shelter Cove Lane, Hilton Head, SC 29928

    2.     Report copies can also be obtained by online electronic submission by following these steps: 

    Upon receipt of your request, we will send confirmation of receipt along with notification of the total fee charged for the requested copy(s).

    Payment must be mailed (MONEY ORDERS and CERTIFIED CHECKS ONLY) along with a copy of the confirmation and a self-addressed stamped envelope to: 

    Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
    P. O. Box 1758 
    Beaufort, SC 29901

    The requested copy(s) will be forwarded upon receipt of payment. Click Here for Pricing.

  • How do I find out if there is a warrant out for my arrest?

    We do not give that information over the phone.

    You must go to the Beaufort County Law Enforcement Center (2001 Duke St, Beaufort, SC) and present a picture I.D. to the records clerk.

  • How can I get a copy of my criminal record?
    We only provide criminal records to law enforcement, security officers, and federally funded housing representatives, with a signed release form. You can obtain your own criminal record by picking up a form at our records office, and sending it to SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division). You will need send in $25.00 with the form.
  • Who do I call to get civil process/judgment papers served?


    • Lieutenant Tom Vido: (843)255-3266
    • Sergeant Joel Calandra: (843)255-3226
    • Hope Bishop, Civil Process Clerk: (843)255-3188;
    • Lori Tuten, Judgments Clerk: (843)255-3189;
    • FAX NUMBER : (843)255-9405


    • Summons, Complaints, Mechanic Liens, Citations, Decrees & Subpoenas - $15.00
    • Out-of-State Papers, Claim & Delivery, Writs of Assistance, Distress Warrants, Orders of Seizures, Executions & Repossession - $25.00

    Payments can be made in the form of cash, attorney checks or money orders. Make checks and money orders payable to: Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.


    Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
    Post Office Box 1758
    Beaufort , South Carolina 29901


    Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
    2001 Duke Street
    Beaufort , South Carolina 29902

    Civil Process Papers: Send to the attention of Hope Bishop.
    Execution Papers: Send to the attention of Lori Tuten.

  • What is involved in the process of property judgments/executions?

    When the Sheriff's Office receives an execution, we notify the defendant by mail. This letter requests them to contact this office within ten (10) days and make arrangements to pay the judgment. If the defendant refuses to pay, we proceed to research property owned by the defendant. The Sheriff's Office is only able to research and proceed against titled property. Titled property can be either real or personal as follows:

    Real Property: Real estate (homes, land, etc.)
    Personal Property: Vehicles, mobile homes, motorcycles, etc. (LIEN FREE)

    Be advised that the Homestead Exemption for the defendant may entail:

    Houses $50,000 - $100,000
    Personal Property up to $5,000

    If any real property is found, the Sheriff's Office will post a levy (a collection notice) on that property. This is the first step in the selling of that property. If the defendant does not satisfy the judgment after the levy is posted, a sale of the property will be necessary.

    The initial costs of the sale are the RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PLAINTIFF, and are as follows:

    • Advertising Bond: $500.00 or more (Depending on length of ad)
    • Personal Property Bond: $350.00 minimum (Covers towing, storage, and advertising prior to being seized.)

    When a title search is requested, the plaintiff will receive a copy of the levy notice containing the legal description of the property.

    The next step is the advertising of levied property, using either the Beaufort Gazette or the Island Packet. The advertising notice is also posted at the U.S. Post Office and the Beaufort County Courthouse. There are requirements by law as to how long the advertisement is run, which affects cost:

    Real Property: Minimum of 3 weeks prior to date of sale
    Personal Property: Minimum of 2 weeks prior to date of sale

    If there are no bidders on the property, there is nothing else the Sheriff's Office can do, and the execution of judgment will be returned to the plaintiff.

    If the Sheriff's Office is unable to collect money for the plaintiff, the paperwork will be returned along with a Nulla Bona letter. A Nulla Bona return indicates either:

    1. that the defendant has no property on which to place a levy;
    2. that the defendant's property is not feasible to sell or the defendant cannot/will not pay monetarily.

    After receiving the Nulla Bona return, the plaintiff may choose to hold onto the judgment until a more opportune time arises to seize property.

    **NOTE: A judgment is valid/collectible for ten (10) years from the date the judge signed the order, and it accrues simple yearly interest at the statutory rate.

    For further questions or assistance, contact one of the below listed personnel:

    Lieutenant Tom Vido: (843) 255-3266
    Sergeant Joel Calandra: (843) 255-3226
    Lori Tuten- Judgments Clerk: (843) 255-3189

  • Do any area constables work directly with the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office?

    The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office utilizes two individuals who are certified constables with specific technical skills that we need. Otherwise, we do not utilize constables. The constable program is taught through our Reserve Deputy Sheriff Program, as the training is nearly identical, only the testing is different. The training is available to anyone meeting the criteria.

    Any individual wishing to obtain a constable's commission may contact Lt. Will Angelo at (843) 255-3138 or email him at

  • I'm a patch collector who would like to trade patches. Who can I talk to?
    We have a couple of people within the Sheriff's Office who do their own trading. You can make a request to trade with MSgt. Jeff Light by emailing him from here.
  • How do I get an appointment to meet with the Sheriff or the Chief Deputy?
    For Sheriff P. J. Tanner you will need to call (843)255-3191 to set up an appointment.
    For Chief Deputy Mike Hatfield, call (843)255-3192.
  • I was a victim of a crime that occurred on Hilton Head Island. Who can I call for an update?
    You can call (843) 255-3300. Ask to speak to a detective in reference to your case. Have your case number ready.
  • How do I obtain a concealed weapon permit in South Carolina?
    To learn more about South Carolina gun laws and how to obtain concealed weapons permits, go to the South Carolina Law Enforcement (SLED) web site ( 
  • What to do if you, or someone you know, is a victim of Identity Theft?

    Identity theft is a crime. Identity theft can be perpetrated using such low-tech methods as purse snatching or “dumpster diving,” or high-tech techniques like deceptive “phishing” e-mails or malicious software known as “spyware.”

    Identity theft can happen to anyone, if you think someone is using your personal information to open accounts, file taxes, or make purchases, you should create an identity theft report and obtain a personal recovery plan from

  • What is the Sheriff's Office tax number?
    Our tax number is 576000-311.
  • What are the child restraint laws in South Carolina?

    SECTION 56-5-6410. Age as basis for required use of restraining system; standards.

    Every driver of a motor vehicle (passenger car, pickup truck, van, or
    recreational vehicle) registered in this State or primarily operated on
    the highways and streets of this State when transporting a child under six years of age upon the public streets and highways of the State shall provide an appropriate child passenger restraint system and shall secure the child as follows:

    (1) Any child less than one year of age must be properly secured in a child restraint system which meets the standards prescribed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

    (2) Any child under four years of age when transported in the front seat must be properly secured in a child restraint system meeting standards prescribed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

    (3) Any child four until six years of age when transported in the front seat must be secured by a safety belt provided in the motor vehicle.

    (4) Any child one year of age or more and under six years of age when transported in a rear seat must be properly secured in a child restraint system which meets the standards prescribed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration unless the child is secured by a safety belt provided in the motor vehicle. Any child restraint system of a type sufficient to meet the physical standards prescribed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at the time of its manufacture is sufficient to meet the requirements of this article.

  • What is the fax number to the Sheriff's Office?

    Main Office: 2001 Duke Street in Beaufort
    Fax: (843) 255-9405

    Hilton Head Sub Station Office: 70 Shelter Cove Lane in Hilton Head
    Fax: (843) 255-9453

  • How to submit pdf forms when using Internet Explorer?
    Due to technical difficulties in some versions of Internet Explorer and Adobe, online pdf forms may experience errors when attempting to electronically submit. However, if you save the blank pdf document locally to your computer, then open it directly in Adobe Reader, the submit button should work correctly upon completion of the document. If you still experience difficulties, you can email the BCSO Webmaster ( about this hindrance so that a resolution can be investigated for future website users. Thank you.